Saturday, August 10, 2013

Good Idea... and Bad Idea

Since this is my first post, it's probably a good guess that most of you don't know my addiction to Pinterest. Ok, even addiction may be falling a bit short. It's more like I spend more time on Pinterest than the average person does on Facebook. That being said, I don't just pin things to my wall for the sake of saying I did. I actually make a good amount of what I pin. This is sometimes good.... and sometimes not so good. Let's start this thing off by looking at an example of each.

Good: Bean & Cheese Burritos

Courtesy of the blog Money Saving Mom

I am the queen of convenience, but convenience doesn't normally come cheap. My husband loves Hot Pockets, so on the nights that it has been a long day or we don't have much time I turn him loose on a box of them. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Hot Pockets, which is why these enticed me. They were cheap to make and not too rough on calories. Money wise I came up to $5.24 (before tax) for the ingredients, and since this made 8 for me, that comes up to about 66 cents a burrito. Not bad when Hot Pockets are $2 for a box of 2 and not near as filling. To try the recipe yourself, click the link here.


Bad: Waffle Iron Hashbrowns

Courtesy of Recipe Sweet

It sounded like a great idea, especially since my husband helps me cook breakfast and we're always elbowing for room at the stove. What this ended up though was a big greasy mess. I won't say it didn't taste good, but I will say that it didn't form any kind of solid object. It stuck to the iron, even after I lightly oiled the iron, and I ended up with a huge puddle of grease and what looked more like tater tots that had exploded. The taste was good and reminded me vaguely of a Mcdonald's hashbrown, but the mess made it completely not worth it. I want to give it some credit since the recipe did specifically say to use Cascadian Farms Spud Puppies, but since that isn't sold anywhere near us I used Great Value Tater Tots. I don't know, maybe it would have worked if I had been able to find those exact Spud Puppies.Willing to try it yourself? Click the link here to see the recipe.


Found a good recipe on Pinterest lately? Found one that turned into a horror story? Leave a comment below and tell me about it.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the Tater Tots recipe on Pinterest and wondered if it would work! The only horrific fail I've had was a Crock-Pot version of beef and broccoli, but that was my fault. I messed up and left rice in a Crock-Pot all day (instead of cooking the rice separately like the recipe called for). It was disgusting, to say the least.

    -Sharla

    ReplyDelete