Thursday, August 15, 2013

Dick Van Dyke, Porkchops, and That One Time I Was Pushed Out Of Bed

I'm not sure if I should be proud of it or not, but I successfully hooked my husband on The Dick Van Dyke show. It's not that I'm tired of watching Batman: Brave and the Bold, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond... am I the only one catching the pattern here?... It's just that I like a little variety every once in a while, but sitcoms usually just fail to catch my eye. I introduced him to Family Guy and American Dad back while we were dating, but there are only so many times you can watch repeats. We tried out The Dick Van Dyke Show one afternoon and discovered something creepy. We discovered that our relationship is almost an exact model of Rob and Laura Petrie. We knew our ideals about family and life were a little old fashioned, but who knew they were 1960's ideals. In one episode they had a fight that David and I had recently, and they fought it almost word for word like we did. As I said, a little creepy.


A friend of mine told me she was looking forward to me adding more recipes, and how could I refuse the chance to show off this recipe. My husband is addicted to these, and for once I didn't get the recipe off of Pinterest. This recipe was actually something I threw together one night when we were still living in Greenhill and I didn't feel like doing a huge amount of cooking.

Jessica's Baked BBQ Pork Chops

  Ingredients:
1 Pack of Pork Chops, can be frozen or thawed (2-6 chops, any cut)

1/2 of a Medium Onion, Chopped (Yellow or White)

1 Bottle of Jack Daniel's Original No. 7 Recipe BBQ Sauce

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line the inside of a 8x8 baking dish (9x13 dish if they're big chops) with aluminum foil. Place pork chops inside of baking dish, spread out as much as possible but it's ok if they overlap. Spread chopped onion evenly on top of chops. Pour the entire bottle of bbq sauce all over the top. Cover with foil and put in oven. Check every 30 minutes until cooked through. Amount of time it takes will depend on thickness and if it was frozen.


Last, but not least, I leave you with a lovely tale of my husband. He likes to sleep in the very center of our queen sized bed. It's extremely early the other morning and I've been suffering from medication induced insomnia (Thank you steroids!). So as I lie there counting the passing time on the clock my husband decides that he is going to roll over a bit closer to me... and 5 seconds later I said hello to the floor and he woke up to me giving him the stink eye and threatening to make him a pallet in the walk-in closet. Perhaps we should do like the Petrie's and have separate husband/wife beds.


So our question for this blog: Have you ever found that either you or your significant other matched a TV show character a bit too closely? Tell me about it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment